WELCOME TO ISSS BANGALORE CHAPTER
As Principal Investigator:
As Co- Principal Investigator:
Welcome to Faculty of IIHR
@Dept. Of Soil Science & Agril. Chemistry ,GKVK
Senior Scientist (Microbiology-PS)
Senior Scientist (Microbiology),
Indian Institute of Horticultural Research,
B.Sc.(Agri),Agriculture, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, etc., Tamil Nadu Agricultural University Coimbatore , India in the year 1996 with 9.07/10
M.Sc.(Agri), Agrl. Microbiology , Tamil Nadu Agricultural University Coimbatore , India in the year 1999 with 9.46/10.
Ph.D., Agrl. Microbiology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University Coimbatore , India in the year 2004 with 9.53/10.
Specialization: Soil Microbiology, Biological Control.
Date of joining the IIHR, Bangalore :5th September 2001.
Guidance to Post-Graduate students as Chairman of Advisory Committee:
Ph. D Students : nil .
||Development of a cold tolerant PSB inoculant.
||Name of the investigator
|| Development of IPNS for Vegetable and Fruit Production Systems.
|| Deployment of Entomopathogens and Light Traps for the Management of Scarabaeids in the Uttarakhand Hills
|| GoI- HMM
|| Development of a microbial consortia to alleviate cold stress.
Patents/ varieties/ Prototypes/ Technologies developed:
I have developed a talc based bio-pesticidal formulation of the bacterium Bacillus cereus strain WGPSB2 (MTCC 7182) for white grub control. The same has been cleared in the biosafety trials by the Indian Institute of Toxicological Research, Lucknow (previously ITRC), for extensive filed level usage. A MoU has been signed with the National Research and Development Corporation (NRDC), New Delhi for the commercialization of the same
A patent has been filed for the method of production of the edible mushroom, Pleurotus sajor-caju on pine needle litter ( No.1628/DEL/2008)
A methodology for preparing pine needle based vermicompost has been developed using the red worm Eisenia foetida. By using the developed technology it is possible to get good quality pine needle based vermicompost in 110-120 days
A carrier-based Azotobacter bioinoculant has been developed using a locally isolated strain. The inoculant is being extensively tested in field experiments both at the experimental and farmers fields
RESEARCH ARTICLES - INTERNATIONAL
1. Selvakumar,G., P. Joshi, P.K. Mishra , J.K.Bisht and H.S.Gupta.2009. Mountain aspect influences the genetic glustering of psychrotolerant phosphate solubilizing Pseudomonads in the Uttarakhand Himalayas. Current Microbiology, 59:432-438.
2. Mishra, P.K., S. Mishra, G.Selvakumar, S.C.Bisht, J.K.Bisht and H.S.Gupta.2009. Characterization of a cold tolerant plant growth promoting bacterium Pseudomonas sp. NARs 9 (MTCC 9002) isolated from the Indian Himalayas. Biological Research (In Press).
3. Selvakumar, G., Piyush Joshi, Sehar Nazim, P.K. Mishra, J.K. Bisht and H. S. Gupta. 2009. Phosphate solubilization and growth promotion by Pseudomonas fragi CS11RH1 (MTCC 8984) a psychrotolerant bacterium isolated from a high altitude Himalayan rhizosphere. Biologia, 64(2): 239-245.
4. Mishra, P.K., S. Mishra, G. Selvakumar, S. Kundu, J.K. Bisht and H.S. Gupta.2009.Coinoculation of Bacillus thuringeinsis-KR1 with Rhizobium leguminosarum enhances plant growth and nodulation of Pea (Pisum sativum L.) and Lentil (Lens culinaris L.). World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 25:753-761.
5. Selvakumar, G., P. Joshi, Sehar Nazim, P.K. Mishra, S. Kundu and H.S.Gupta.2009. Exiguobacterium acetylicum strain 1P (MTCC 8707) a novel bacterial antagonist from the North Western Indian Himalayas. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 25:131- 136.
6. Mishra, P.K., S. Mishra, G. Selvakumar, S.C. Bisht, S. Kundu, J.K. Bisht and H.S. Gupta.2008. Characterization of a psychrotrophic plant growth promoting Pseudomonas PGERs 17 (MTCC 9000) isolated from North Western Indian Himalayas. Annals of Microbiology, 58 (4):1-8.
7. Selvakumar, G., S. Kundu, A.D. Gupta, Y.S.Shouche and H.S.Gupta.2008.Isolation and characterization of plant growth promoting bacteria from nodules of Kudzu (Pueraria thunbergiana) and their effect on wheat seedling growth. Current Microbiology, 56:134-139.
8. Selvakumar G. and G. Gopalaswamy. 2008. PCR based fingerprinting of Westiellopsis cultures with Short Tandemly Repeated Repetitive (STRR) and Highly Iterated Palindrome (HIP) sequences. Biologia, 63(3):283-288.
9. Mishra, P.K., Smita Mishra, G.Selvakumar, S.Kundu and H.S.Gupta. 2008. Enhanced soybean (Glycine max L.) plant growth and nodulation by Bradyrhizobium japonicum SB1 in presence of Bacillus thuringiensis-KR1. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica Section B-Plant and Soil Science, 59:189-196.
10. Selvakumar, G., S.Kundu, Piyush Joshi, Sehar Nazim, A.D.Gupta, P.K.Mishra and H.S.Gupta.2008.Characterization of a cold tolerant plant growth promoting bacterium Pantoea dispersa 1A, isolated from a sub alpine soil in the North Western Indian Himalaya. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 24:955-960.
11. Selvakumar, G., M.Mohan, S.Kundu, A.D.Gupta, Piyush Joshi, Sehar Nazim, and H.S.Gupta.2008.Cold tolerance and plant growth promotion potential of Serratia marcescens strain SRM (MTCC 8708) isolated from flowers of summer squash (Cucurbita pepo). Letters in Applied Microbiology, 46:171-175.
12. Gopinath, K.A., S. Saha, B.L.Mina, H. Pande, S.Kundu, G.Selvakumar and H.S.Gupta.2008. Effect of organic manures and integrated nutrient management on yield potential of bell pepper (Capsicum annuum) varieties and on soil properties. Arch. Agron. Soil Science. DOI: 10.1080/03650340701836808.
13. Sushil, S.N., M.Mohan, G.Selvakumar, J.C. Bhatt and H.S.Gupta.2008. Isolation and toxicity evaluation of bacterial entomopathogens against phytophagous white grubs (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in Himalayan hills. International Journal of Pest Management, 54:301-307.
14. Mohan, M., S.N. Sushil, G.Selvakumar, J.C.Bhatt, G.T. Gujjar, and H.S.Gupta.2008. Differential toxicity of Bacillus thuringiensis strains and their crystal toxins against high altitude Himalayan populations of diamond back moth Plutella xylostella L. Pest Management Science ,65:27-33.
15. Selvakumar, G., M.Mohan, S.N. Sushil, S.Kundu, J.C. Bhatt and H.S.Gupta. 2007. Characterization and phylogenetic analysis of an entomopathogenic Bacillus cereus WGPSB-2 (MTCC 7182) isolated from Anomala dimidiata. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 17:525-534.
16. Prakash,V., R. Bhattacharyya, G.Selvakumar, S.Kundu and H.S. Gupta.2007. Long-term effects of fertilization on some soil properties under rainfed soybean-wheat cropping in the Indian Himalayas. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, 170(2):224-233.
Research Articles - National :
1. Selvakumar, G., S.Kundu, Piyush Joshi, Sehar Nazim, A.D.Gupta and H.S.Gupta.2008.Growth promotion of wheat seedlings by Exiguobacterium acetylicum 1P (MTCC 8707) a cold tolerant bacterial strain from the Uttarakhand Himalayas. Indian Journal of Microbiology, DOI 10.1007/s12088-009-0024-y.
2. Selvakumar, G., G.Goplaswamy and K.Arulmozhiselvan. 2007. Design and development of a simple laboratory model to detect 15N enrichment in cyanobacterial biomass and extra cellular ammonia using 15N gas. Indian Journal of Microbiology, 47(1): 30-33.
3. Pandey,A.K., K.A. Gopinath, R. Bhattacharya, K.S. Hooda, S.N. Sushil, S. Kundu, G. Selvakumar and H.S.Gupta.2006. Effect of source and rate of organic manures on yield attributes, pod yield and economics of organic garden pea (Pisum sativum sub sp hortense) in North Western Himalaya. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 76(4): 230-234.
4. Singh, R.D., A.P.Verma, and G. Selvakumar.2003.Variation in soil organic carbon and microbial biomass carbon contents at various altitudes in a pine forest. Indian Journal of Forestry. 26(4): 381-383.
5. Selvakumar, G., G. Gopalaswamy and S.Kannaiyan.2002.Pigment analysis and ammonia excretion pattern in herbicide tolerant cyanobacteria. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 40:934-940.
6. Selvakumar, G., G. Gopalaswamy and S.Kannaiyan.2001.Isolation and characterization of cyanobacterial isolates from herbicide applied rice soil. Phykos 40 (1 & 2): 129-133.
7. Sridhar, R., G.Selvakumar, K. Jeyaram and P.Santhanakrishnan.2000.Isolation and characterization of a sulphur oxidizing bacteria from tank mud soil. Madras Agric.J. 80(10-12): 639-640.
8. Selvakumar, G., G. Gopalaswamy and S.Kannaiyan.2000.Influence of butachlor on cyanobacteria in augmenting rice growth and yield. J. Microbial World, 2(2): 61-65.
Short Communications :
1. Selvakumar, G., Supradip Saha and S. Kundu. 2007. Inhibitory activity of pine needle tannin extracts on some agriculturally resourceful microbes. Indian Journal of Microbiology, 47(3): 267-270.
2. Sushil, S.N., M.Mohan, G.Selvakumar and J.C.Bhat.2006.Relative abundance and host preference of white grubs (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in Kumaon hills of Indian Himalayas. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 76(5): 338-339.
3. Hooda, K.S., J.C. Bhatt, G. Selvakumar, Sai Prasad, and Shri Dhar.2005. Evaluation of bean genotypes for resistance against fuscous blight in Kumaon Hills. Journal of Mycology and Plant Pathology, 34(3): 880.
4. Singh,R.D., A.P.Verma, Harit Pande and G.Selvakumar.2004.Altitudinal variation of soil enzyme activities in a pine forest. Indian Journal of Ecology, 31(1): 18-19.
5. Selvakumar, G., S, N. Sushil, J.C. Bhatt and R.D. Singh .2003. Isolation of Yersinia sp. From diseased white grub larvae. Indian Journal of Microbiology. 43(3): 211-212.
6. Selvakumar, G., G. Gopalaswamy and S.Kannaiyan.2002.Response of rice (cv. ADT 36) seedlings to inoculation of herbicide tolerant cyanobacteria. Madras Agric. J. 89(7-9): 509-510.
1. Selvakumar, G., A.D.Gupta, S. Kundu and H. S. Gupta.2009. Cold Tolerance Mechanisms in Microorganisms and its Agricultural Importance. In: Agriculturally Important Microorganisms (Vol.1). (Eds) G.G. Khachatourians, D.K.Arora, T.P. Rajendran and A.K. Srivastava., Academic World International, Bhopal, pp; 73-93.
2. Selvakumar, G., Sehar Nazim and S.Kundu. 2008. Methylotrophy in Bacteria: Potential and Prospects. In: Microbial Biotechnology (Eds.) Ratul Saikia, R.L. Bezbaruah, and T.C. Borah, New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, pp: 67-85.
3. Selvakumar, G., S.Kundu and H.S. Gupta. 2008. Diversity in Microbial System in Hill Area Crops. In: Agrobiodiversity, Vol II, Associated Publishing Company, New Delhi, pp. 191-200.
4. Selvakumar,G and Deeksha Joshi. 2006. Role of Microbes in Sustainable Agriculture. In: Sustainable Production from Agricultural Water Sheds in North West Himalayas. (Eds.) H.S.Gupta, A.K.Srivastava and J.C. Bhatt. Vivekananda Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan, Almora. pp: 357-365.
5. Selvakumar, G., G. Gopalaswamy and S.Kannaiyan.2004. Assessment of growth and biomass production by cyanobacteria isolated from different soil environments. In: Biofertilizers Technology for Rice Based Cropping System. (Eds.) S. Kannaiyan, K. Kumar and K. Govindarajan. Scientific Publishers (India), Jodhpur. pp: 122-125.
6. Singh, R.D., G.Selvakumar and K.K.S.Bisht.2003. An Integrated Biological Approach for Organic farming. In: Dimensions of Uttaranchal. (Ed.) C.M. Agrawal. Indian Publishers Distributors, Delhi. pp: 194-204.
Popular Articles :
1. Babu R., G.Selvakumar and H.S. Gupta .2002. Biofortified crops: A genetic avenue for nutritional security. Indian Farmers Digest.35 (8): 13-18.
2. Selvakumar, G., R. Babu, and H.S. Gupta.2002. Endophytic Nitrogen Fixation: Potentials and Prospects. Indian Farmers Digest.36 (7-8): 31-34.
3. Mina B.L., K.A. Gopinath, G .Selvakumar and A.K.Srivastava.2008.Vermicomposting apnaye labh kamaye. Kheti. 61: 34-36.
||Title of the Course
|| Techniques in Microbiology
||3rd Dec - 23rd Dec 2001
Centre of Advanced Studies in Agricultural Microbiology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore , India.
||Biochemical and Molecular Characterization of Agriculturally Important Microorganisms
||22 nd- 29 th April 2005
National Bureau of Agriculturally Important Microorganisms, Mau Nath Bhanjan (UP) , India
National Research and Development Corporation Societal InnovationAward-2008
World Intellectual Property Organization(WIPO) Gold medal for Best Invention of the year 2008
Association of Microbiologists of India Young Scientist Award in Agricultural Microbiology for the year 2008
Young Scientist Award from the Uttarakhand State Council for Science and Technology (Govt. of Uttarakhand) in the category of Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences for the year 2007 .
Admitted as a Life Member of the National Academy of Biological Sciences, Chennai, India, w.e.f. March 2005
Admitted as a Life Member of Association of Microbiologists of India, w.e.f.Dec.2006 .